- Caulk/foam around doors, electrical outlets, plumbing/hvac penetrations and windows prevent outside air penetration into house
- Check if needed/Insulate water pipes to prevent freezing in winter months, and year round to insulate exposed hot water lines, so no heat is lost for maximum efficiency.
- Check if needed/Insulate HVAC refrigerant lines outside and in attics for maximum operating efficiency.
- Fix leaking/dripping hose bibs, toilets, outside showers, and sinks.
- Door sweeps for exterior doors.
- Digital/Locking T-stats don’t allow guest to turn HVAC unit down to 50 degrees. Air Handlers recommends 70 degrees for cooling/74 degrees for heating. T-stat easy to un-lock during owner weeks or off season. Reduces run time, prevents units from freezing up in summer months.
- Energy Star estimates $200.00 per year savings with digital t-stat compared to mercury.
- Recommend HoneyWell Pro 5000 t-stat cost is $87.50 per t-stat and install fee (one-time fee)of $75.00. User friendly t-stat easy operation and lighted back round display for night use, does not require batteries or no maintenance, mercury should be calibrated annual.
- Mercury must be level to function properly and contains highest levels of mercury compared to any other house hold appliances.
Compact Florescent Bulbs (CFL Bulbs)
- Bulbs cost between $3.99 and $29.99; installation might be covered under plan? (Mark)
- According to Energy Star each CFL bulb will save $6 per year and over $40.00 in its lifetime compared to incandescent bulbs.
- CFL uses 75% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs and last at least 6 times longer.
- CFL bulbs produce 75% less heat, thus safer to operate and cuts down on heat load during AC season.
- Insulate attics and underneath houses. Upwards of 30% of heated/cooled air is lost through your attic.
- Add storm doors/windows to protect interior doors and prevent harsh winds from blowing unconditioned air into the house.
- Have East and West facing windows tinted to reduce hvac load in the summer months and protect furniture from fading.
- Check for attic vents on roof or have power vents installed to reduce energy cost during cooling season.
- Install wi-fi t-stat to lock temperature settings, monitor use, and track energy savings.
$1000.00 and up
- Install tankless water heater. Does not store and heat water 24/7 like traditional water heaters. Provides endless supply of hot water. For homes consuming 86 gallons or more each day tankless can be 15% more efficient than traditional water heaters. Tankless life expectancy is 20 years compared to 10 with traditional water heaters. Does require propane gas to operate and venting maybe required. Estimate would have to be provided.
- Install/Upgrade heating and cooling system. Air Handlers OBX offers Carrier/Bryant Coastal model units designed to with stand the harsh salt air. Offered up to 16 SEER efficiency in coastal product. Each SEER saves 7% energy savings on average. Average unit is 10 SEER efficiency, minimum standard today is 13 SEER for unit replacements. SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. Heating and cooling units can account for up to 50% of the homes heating/cooling bill.