With the weather getting colder the possibility of your pipes freezing increases. Having your pipes freeze is no fun and can be costly. If your pipes freeze it may cause your pipes to burst. There are a few simple things that you can do to help prevent your pipes from freezing this winter. If your pipes do freeze, there are also ways to thaw them out. If you are not sure what to do, or need help, you can always call your local plumber for assistance.
Tips for Keeping your Pipes from Freezing
- Disconnect all of the outdoor hoses from the faucets.
- Drain the hoses to protect them from splitting.
- Turn off the water supply to the hose bib.
- Open the faucet outside the house and let the water drain.
- Do not close the hose bib.
- Check the outdoor faucets for leaks and drips. Even minor leaks and drips can lead to frozen pipes.
- Cover the outside faucets with a Styrofoam cone cover.
- Check the exposed pipes in the basement, crawlspace, and garage.
- Insulate the exposed pipes with insulating tape.
- You should also inspect and clean your sump pump and pit.
Tips to Help Thaw Frozen Pipes
- Open the faucet so steam produced by the thawing will be able to escape.
- Start thawing the pipe using a pipe-thawing method.
- Begin at the faucet, and work back towards the other end of the frozen section.
- As the ice melts, water and steam will come out of the open faucet.
- If you start in the middle, steam produced by the melting ice could get trapped and build up enough pressure to burst the pipe.
- Wrap and secure heavy a towel or burlap bag around the pipe.
- Place a bucket under the pipe to catch runoff water.
- Pour hot or boiling water over the towel.
It is best to take measures to prevent your pipes from freezing, than to think “I’ll just thaw them out later.” The frozen water in the pipes will expand which may cause to pipes to burst. If your pipes freeze, or you just need help protecting your pipes, call Air Handlers OBX today. The professionals at Air Handlers OBX will be able to help you with preparing your pipes for the cold weather. If your pipes do freeze and bust, Air Handlers OBX can also help repair them. Don’t wait until the last minute! Call today before your pipes have time to freeze.