Every year people start doing spring cleaning of their homes. Too many people don’t consider cleaning or maintaining their HVAC system, though. Your HVAC system should be at the top of your list for things to clean. If your HVAC unit is not maintained, it could cause you to have problems with your unit. If that happens, you could have to suffer through the heat until it can be repaired. There are a lot of other little things that need to be maintained as well.
Checklist to Help Maintain Your Home and HVAC Unit
● Check Unit: At the beginning of every new season, check your unit to make sure it is running properly.
● Replace Filters: Check and replace filters every month as needed. Not all filters have to be changed every month.
● Change Batteries: Change the batteries in your carbon-monoxide and smoke detectors at least twice a year.
● Bathroom Fans: You should clean your bathroom fans at least once per year.
● Check Windows: Check all your windows to make sure they open and close properly. If they do not close tightly it could cause air to escape your home, which would in turn require more power to cool your home.
● Clean Screens: The best way to clean your screens is to use kerosene.
● Clean Gutters: Over fall and winter, a lot of debris can gather in your gutters. Cleaning your gutters helps to keep them functioning properly. You will also want to check and see if your gutters are sagging. If they are, you will need to have them tacked back into place. Sagging gutters can cause damage to your home if not taken care of.
● Flappers: You will want to check your toilet flappers at least one time every year.
● Faucet Handles: Remove and clean your faucet handles. This will help keep the screws from corroding.
● Window Seals: Check all your windows and doors to see if they seal as they should when they are closed. If they do not, you may need to caulk around them.
These are just a few of the things that need to be taken care of every year. For more tips and information you can contact your local heating and air company. If you are in the Outer Banks area, call us at Air Handlers OBX today. Our trained techs can help with all your heating and cooling needs this spring as well as throughout the rest of the year. So call us today and keep your HVAC unit running perfectly all year round.