The short answer may be, ‘now’. The long answer: If your system is 15 to 20 years old, and just isn’t performing the way it used to, consider replacement. That being said, do not wait until your compressor, or another important component fails before you decide to call the certified heating, ventilating, and air conditioning experts at Air Handlers OBX.
Your vacation home on North Carolina’s Outer Banks was a big investment. You didn’t buy from Sun Realty on a whim; you considered all your options, and asked all the right questions, to ensure you selected the home that was right for you.
So, too, should you go about the process of replacing your HVAC system.
Should I replace all of my HVAC equipment at one time?
Yes. It’s crucial to the performance and life of your heating and cooling system that all parts work together as they should. Choosing to replace only the outdoor, or the indoor unit might save you a little cash in the short run, but doing so will lead to problems down the road.
What size system do I need?
The answer to this question depends solely on the size of your home. A too-small HVAC system won’t adequately heat or cool your home, while a too-large system will lead to higher energy bills, and subpar temperature control. Air Handlers OBX will perform a detailed load calculation to determine what size is the right size for you.
What can I do to maintain my HVAC system?
Take care of your HVAC system, and it will take care of you.
- Inspect your air filter regularly, and replace it once every three months.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. Maintaining a reasonable ambient temperature (especially when your Outer Banks vacation home sits unoccupied) will save energy, and extend the life of your HVAC system.
- Ensure that all supply and return vents have proper airflow, and are not blocked.
- Keep your outdoor unit clean, and free from debris.
- Improve your energy efficiency: Keep the cool air inside during those hot Carolina summers by making sure that your home is properly insulated.
Call the certified HVAC replacement & repair specialists at Air Handlers OBX for an annual inspection and routine, preventive maintenance to ensure that your home stays warm, and cool for years to come.