Okay, so it’s not officially summer until June 21, but let’s be honest about when summer really starts on the Outer Banks: It’s all about Memorial Day weekend. You’ve made your first appearances at the Outer Banks Brewing Company, and splashed in the surf for the first time; maybe you’ve even caught your first glimpse of the great white sharks that call our corner of the Atlantic home.
But have you gotten your vacation house in tip-top shape for the summer?
The weather should have been your first clue:
It’s time to do a little spring— err, summer cleaning.
- Clean all ceiling fans.
- Clean all exterior windows, and the screens, too.
- Replace existing weather stripping; keep the cool air in, and the hot air out.
- Clean out the refrigerator, and all the pieces and parts. Food, and beer: They’re meant to be kept cold, and so you’ll want to keep your refrigerator running in top condition all summer long.
- Test all smoke alarms, and change the batteries.
- Check any exterior siding and wood for rot or water damage. Fix minor issues before they become major ones, before the Atlantic hurricane season kicks into high gear.
- Clean out your gutters.
- Check for missing or loose shingles, and patch the roof as necessary.
- Make sure hoses, outdoor spigots, and electrical outlets are sound, and working properly.
Heating, ventilation, and cooling system
This is the big ‘un. Nobody, and I do mean nobody wants to endure a summer on the Outer Banks without proper ventilation and air conditioning. There are a few steps you can take to stay cool:
- Change the filters regularly; they should be checked at least once a month.
- Clean the condenser unit’s coils, and ensure the area is free of trash and debris.
- Call Air Handlers OBX to come out, and take a look: We’ll test your home’s cooling system; identify any potential problems or hazards; and ensure small problems are fixed before they have a chance to cause a major headache.
Oh, and did you know…?
You can hire Sun Realty to property manage your vacation home, and they’ll take care of routine maintenance, and of upkeep and rental during the off-season and year round? Well, now you do! Call Sun Realty today, and all you’ll have to do next season is relax, and enjoy.